Sofie Garrucho, Your Ultimate Girl Gamer
GameOPS is proud to introduce our very first Featured Gamer, Ms. Sofie Garrucho. Sofie's been modeling for a few years now and started as a freelance model. She went on winning the first FHM Philippines' Girl Next Door competition in 2004 and finally made it on the cover of the November 2005 issue of FHM Philippines.
Unknown to many, Sofie plays video games and she's popular in the 3D world of THERE Philippines. She's also active in the social networking communities, especially in our local Groovenet.
This interview started as a joke on my blog because Sofie sent me a message in Groovenet asking me to upload my picture. I always doubt everything I read on the internet especially if that is too good to be true. My instinct has been shouting to my ears, "hey that's not Sofie, it's a bot..."
I posted an entry on my blog asking Sofie if she was indeed the one who sent that message, she must email me. Surprisingly, Sofie posted a comment on my blog and sent me an email. And thus this interview was born :~)
1. Could you tell us something about yourself? How old are you? Where are you located and what are you currently engaged in? Hobbies?
Im Sofie (its actually a combination of my mom and dad's name- Sofronio and Elsie) I stopped counting my age When I was 18.(ha ha) But Im 25yrs old. Well I go back and forh Iloilo-Manila. I Mostly spend my time In Iloilo though. Im into arts and crafts (painting, sketching, crochet,bead works etc etc), and of course gaming.
2. When was the first time you actually played a video game? What's the name of the game and game system? What or who made you play?
When I was 5 years old. I played with Atari 2600 Jr. (Pacman,Pitfall, combat, etc) Nintendo Game & Watch ( Tropical fish, Donkey Kong JR, Super Mario Bros, Balloon fight, Octopus, parachute,life boat) It was my elder brothers who influenced me in gaming.
3. Do you own a video game console? If yes, what system? Was it your very fist console? What video game platform do you prefer? (PC, Consoles or Handheld)
I have a PS2 and Im planning to buy Nintendo Wii. No, its not my first console. My first one was a shared one and that was Atari 2600 jr.
I love games so much, so i play with almost all video platform though recently Im into PC games.
4. What is your favorite video game? Why?
I have no particular favorite but I love RPGs, FPS, RTS, Simulation Games, and online puzzle games. Also For a while side-scrolling platform games like SuperMario Bros.
If you noticed, most of these games takes longer to finish and requires quite a bit of thinking. I love games that makes me think, its a sort of brain exercise for me.
5. How about a particular video game character, who's your favorite? Why?
When I was a kid, for a time my favorite character was Mario but he is a male so instead I wanted to be that princess in distress. But presently, I just love the Night Elves character in Warcraft3 : Frozen Throne, particularly "Priestess of the Moon" She's perfect, she is born a leader, intelligent, powerful and fearless. She is the perfect description of the "Beauty, Power & Brains" woman of our world.
6. Do you play online games? Or are you more of a friendster/social network person? If you play online games, what are your current and alltime favorites?
Yes, I play online games particularly DOTA and some online puzzle games like scrabble, chinese checkers and other word games.
I am also very active in Online Social Networks particularly in www.groovenet.ph I answer personally almost all of the messages I receive in my Groovenet.
7. You've been one of Groovenet's well known members, how much time do you spend on There Philippines' world?
You usually can catch me in THERE PHILIPPINES at late night, around 12mn up. I love being in THERE 3D world. Its actually like playing sims but the difference is you get to talk to real people using VOIP or chatting by typing.. Sometimes Im in the world 'til 4Am.
8. What are the websites you frequently visit when you're online? What's your favorite website? Why?
I frequently visit www.fhm.com.ph, Im an active forum member there at the same time Im the Official resident blogger of fhm.com.ph ( my blog- www.fhm.com.ph/blogs/sofie ) Then you can catch me always online at www.groovenet.ph , answering messages, posting some announcements or uploading new photos of me. ( I sometimes go to friendster and myspace for promotion sake) I also visit www.modelmayhem.com and other model-photographer related sites. From time to time you can see me replying in some blogs that featured something about me.
9. What's your favorite online moniker? Why?
If online and posting on some forums or blogs, I usually use my real name. If playing Dota or other online game I use babyruth (my fave chocolate bar). Sometimes I use some crazy nicks. Reason, so that I could at least swear a bit while playing. ha ha Yeah, trash talking! LOL
10. Craziest thing you did online? offline?
So far, yes Ive done some crazy things online, but I'd rather not elaborate on it.. :) Offline? Whew! Ive done countless of crazy stuff offline and still counting. :)
11. If you were to convince a friend or co-worker to play video games, how would you do it? Would you do crazy stuff just to convince him or her?
You don't convince people to play video games If you don't have that in your genes ( Yeah, I call that the GAMER gene ), you will never appreciate a single game. Believe me its true.
But to convince a fellow gamer its easy as 1-2-3. just dare him up for a challenge, and you will never get a NO for that.
12. Are you part of a clan or guild? If yes, can you give us some info about your guild?
No but I want to be a part of a clan/guild though.
13. Can you tell us what's it like winning the first FHM Girl-Next-Door contest? What does it feel like to be voted as one of the sexiest women in FHM and being their cover girl?
Winning the First FHM GND contest is something that I am proud of. Who doesnt want to be coined as "The First Ever... " ? :)
I never thought that I could make it to FHM100 sexiest list of 2006. I mean there are a lot of sexy, pretty and well-known celebrities out there. Who would think a newbie like me will out-ranked 55 other girls? Well, that is something and I am happy about it.
Being an FHM Cover Girl is something really amazing for me. But until now that thought havent yet sunk in. I mean, i guess I am still the same ol' Sofie.
14. Did playing a video game made any difference in your life? If yes, could you tell us?
Yes, I think being a player did make a difference in my life. It contributed to the uniqueness of my personality. Something that even myself cant explain but I just know that if you take gaming away from me, I wouldnt be ME.
15. Do you have any personal video game related story that you can share?
Nothing in particular but I would love to be in a video game related movie/photoshoot. I would love to play the role of a Heroine and engaged in a pretense battle fully geared with weapons, armors and stuff. That would really be a dream come true.
16. Have you ever bought (or played) a pirated copy of a video game? Could you tell us about it? Your thoughts about the rampant video game piracy in the Philippines?
Yes, who doesn't? As you said, piracy is very rampant in our country. Everywhere you turn you'll find vendors selling pirated CDs and DVDs, etc. In my opinion, one of the reason of piracy here is the pricing of authentic CDs. We are living in a 3rd world country and prices is too expensive for a 3rd world consumer. Companies should set a different price range for 3rd world Asian Countries.That way Piracy at least will be reduced.
17. We heard you have a new video, could you tell us more about it?
Oh, It is called "Skin City" by VIVA Inc. It was originally a magazine but I dont know exactly what happened. The video is all about the behind the scenes of the photoshoot. Composed of almost all the VIVA Hotbabes and other Viva talents. You can grab a copy of the video at any Video City outlets nationwide.
18. Any last message you wish to impart to our readers? Any greetings, link-love, etc. to your friends?
Please visit my blog at www.fhm.com.ph/blogs/sofie Watch out for exciting and fun videos and photos of me and read about other sexy, crazy and cool stuff in my blog. Don't forget to leave me a comment. And yeah, dont forget to Vote for me in FHM100 sexiest 2007, just log on to www.fhm.com.ph for details.
Also, Im inviting everybody to Join www.groovenet.ph - A Philippine based online Social Community for Filipinos by Filipinos. The heck with Frien****r or My****e when we have GROOVENET to call our own. *GRIN*
To all Gamers, ROCK ON! KEEP ON PLAYING!!
Please vote for Sofie on FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World. Head over to the FHM website to vote. Or simply text FHM100 and send to 7399 to register. To vote via SMS type FHM100 < Space > SOFIE and send to 7399 (SMART, TALK 'n TEXT and SUN cellular subscribers only)
Want to be featured on GameOPS? Email us at ask-g (AT) gameops (DOT) net with the subject heading "FEATURED GAMER (your name)"
This post was updated on June 28, 2016 as per Google's request to remove some photos.
(Photo by Peter Jaena. BY-NC.)
Sofie Garrucho, Your Ultimate Girl Gamer Reviewed by Jepoy on 4/20/2007 11:35:00 PM Rating: