A New "DOTA" hits Recto: Left 4 Dead!
Manila, considered by many as the haven of 10 peso an hour internet cafes. I was in the vicinity so I decided to visit the local. I went directly to Recto, the capital of all things online (online gaming lang pala hehe), some call it the poor man’s Eastwood (ahaha I made that one up).
I was expecting the usual online games and stores full of DOTA players but I was in for a surprise.
A girl was playing what looks like a Counter Strike game. Ok that’s normal..when suddenly a bunch of fast moving zombies (on steroids) attacked her. She and her friend were shouting instructions and shooting a concentrated burst of fire. I thought things were going to go their way when something happened and she burst into flames?!
Welcome to Left 4 Dead, the newest game to conquer the hearts of university belt students. Plays like Counter Strike, but it’s takes cooperative gaming to a whole new level:
- When a Survivor falls off a ledge, then they may automatically hang onto it and can only be helped up by another Survivor.
- When a Survivor's health is depleted, then they become incapacitated and can only be revived by another Survivor, at which point they continue playing with a low amount of health that decreases over time.
- When a Survivor has been incapacitated and revived twice without tending to their wounds, then they will experience distorted black-and-white vision, and the next incapacitation will kill the player.
- When a Survivor incurs enough damage while incapacitated, or is not eventually helped up by teammates, then the incapacitated player will die.
- When a Survivor is killed, then they will respawn in a closet after a period of time, but must be freed by another Survivor to rejoin the team. Otherwise, the player must wait until the next level.
- Survivors can share first-aid kits and help each other heal.
- Left 4 Dead has friendly fire that cannot be disabled O.o (Ohh shi..)
The enemies are called “infected” they look like your average zombies but with “28 days later” capabilities. Yes they can run and boy will they hunt you down.
There are 5 boss “infected” you need to steer away from as much possible :))
Hunter: This guy jumps on people!
Smoker: A long range attacker that uses its tongue.
Boomer: A fat “infected” who vomits on you. The vomit itself is bad enough but it also attracts large group of “infected”
Tank: Think zombie with muscles. A lot of muscles.
Witch: A passive “infected” that is provoked by any loud sound, flashlight or bullet wound, upon provocation she will attack. Reminds me of the Blaire Witch somehow ugh creepy.
I tried the game out and let me tell you it was an adrenaline rush. Zombies everywhere and you looking over your shoulder just to check if your teammates are pointing at the zombies not you :))
I need to play this game again! Check it out.
(Cross posted at The Videogame Fan)
A New "DOTA" hits Recto: Left 4 Dead! Reviewed by Rocky on 12/29/2008 12:32:00 AM Rating: